Duane Schulthess, Managing Director of Vital Transformation, and Luca Pani, former Director General of the Italian Medicine's Agency and currently a Faculty Member at the University of Miami, will run a 3 hour and 15 minute Short Course outlining how best to harness RWE to better understand the price, value, and impact of next generation therapies.
In a post Sovaldi world, payers and industry are regularly at loggerheads on price. Payers complain that their budgets are being decimated, whilst industry states that therapies are now more effective and deserve higher prices. Patients, often, are being caught in the middle.
This short course will show that the seemingly intractable pricing impasse is driven by our current system of evaluating new treatments based only on 6-9 months of mean response in a clinical trial, with success determined by a statistical 'p-value'. It will highlight examples of how RWE can be better used to facilitate earlier access, measure outcomes, address value long term across the entire health system, and offer more creative pricing solutions to facilitate better patient access. In addition, this short course will address the Pricing, Value, and Access challenges being caused by highly effective targeted therapies such as IO Checkpoint, CAR T, and Gene Therapies.
The short course will feature:
- Pricing and value case-studies based on current clinical therapies such as CAR T, IO checkpoint, and HEP C
- Interactive workshop discussions on various payment options such as annuity, up front, or pay on performance
- An overview of the Italian outcomes system of reimbursement and how it has impacted price and access
- Real-time cost and outcomes modeling to test and aid discussions on various options to stakeholders
- Horizon scanning discussions on the impact of cures in areas such as Duchene Muscular Dystrophy, Viral Therapies, or Alzheimer’s which may arrive in 3 5 years: How can we plan now? What should we do differently?
Who should attend?
This short course is designed for Regulators, Insurance (Payers) both National and Private, HTAs, Industry Access Managers (both Large Pharma and Biotech), Health IT Providers, VCs and Fund managers, Patient Advocates.
At the conclusion of this course, participants should be able to:
- Compare short and long term outcomes and their impacts on budgets
- Discuss and evaluate different pricing scenarios in group settings
- Demonstrate use cases for RWE in pricing and reimbursemen