Start planning your trip to San Diego, and lock in the lowest rates at San Diego’s best hotels! A limited number of rooms are available at each of our hotels, and only confirmed registrants will have access to full hotel inventory. Hurry - hotels are filling fast!
Book Your Hotel Now
Why is San Diego the perfect location for the DIA 2014 50th Annual Meeting?
The life sciences industry is a major driver of the innovation economy in the San Diego area, which has more than 600 life science companies and more than 80 research institutes. The research institutes – along with the University of California, San Diego – provide the area with breakthrough technologies that fuel company growth and product development. Major pharmaceutical companies including Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson and Merck maintain a presence in the area to foster collaboration with major research institutes, universities, and smaller biotechnology companies.
San Diego's higher education institutions conduct groundbreaking research:
The Scripps Research Institute:
- Highest NIH grant funding among all independent research institutes
- Largest independent research institute in the US
- Focus on molecular and cellular biology, chemistry, neurosciences, immunology, cardiovascular disease, virology and synthetic vaccine development
Salk Institute for Biological Studies:
- Focus on AIDS, Alzheimer’s, aging, autism, birth defects, cancer, diabetes, gene therapy, plant biology and vision
Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute:
- Focus on cancer, neuroscience, infectious and inflammatory diseases, diabetes and obesity, and children’s health
- Ranks third in the nation among independent research organizations in NIH grant funding
- Currently ranks third worldwide among all research organizations in citations per publication in the fields of biology and biochemistry
San Diego is one of the top 10 visitor and meeting destinations in the US.
“What’s working in America are these cooperative clusters. San Diego has become the human genome research capital in America. Now not every city can do that. But check out what they’ve done…”
- FORMER PRESIDENT BILL CLINTON, CNBC's “Closing Bell” program, June 5, 2012
Information provided from http://www.sandiegobusiness.org/industry/lifescience
View Travel Information for San Diego